Monday, June 2, 2008

City folk...

Whenever we told people that we were planning on moving to Manhattan they would always respond with something to the effect of, "We didn't know you were city people." People probably didn't know, because we didn't know.

The view from the top of the Rockefeller building that Skyler works in. It is quite amazing.

We are officially city lovers. At least NYC lovers. It is easy to love the city when you don't have to drive. I haven't ridden in a car for over a week and I can't say I miss it. We will have to see if come my first stressful moment I will need to go for a drive.
We don't even have a gas bill. Skyler's commute is a mere 20 mins. spent listening to NPR car talk and/or reading The Count of Monte Cristo (Crystal, aren't you proud :) ). I can walk anywhere and everywhere that I want in a 10 block radius. It is so nice to get out and move. It might be a figment of my imagination, but I am feeling healthier.

The perks of city life are quite numerous. We have found many fun restaurants that are now on our list of places to try out. Not to mention all of the exciting cultural events that are right at our fingertips. Just walking down the street is a blast for a people watcher such as myself. I have begun my pilates classes and will soon start my cooking classes.

Yesterday we enjoyed a nice stroll in Central Park (we live 2 blocks away). We just wandered around and then sat in the grass to talk. We had a nice view of the lake and of the skyline above.



Skyler and some of the other summer associates.

The main reason I am posting is that I just had a funny moment of realization. Sky wrote me a quick email simply saying that his secretary had faxed something out for him. I just laughed. Can you believe that my husband has a secretary!!! It is just too funny to have those moments when I remember that we are adults. When did that happen?! We grew up without even knowing it.


This is a picture of our neighborhood from the top of the Rockefeller. We are on the Upper West Side near the Jacqueline Kennedy Reservoir.

P.S. Those of you who are waiting for pics of our apartment, I promise I haven't forgotten. I have video of it all and am just waiting for my firewire cable to come in the mail.

7 comments:

jenny t said...

I'm excited for you guys to get to experience the big city life, and excited to hopefully come visit. But I'm actually most excited that Skyler is reading The Count of Monte Cristo! It's one of my top 5 favorite books of all time! :) Have fun, we miss you at the branch!

Natalie said...

So what are you doing with your days besides Pilates and cooking classes? I'd love to come for a visit but I don't think it is happening this summer. Maybe next year :)

Mollie said...

Holy mackerel. I am so insanely happy for you guys to be having such an amazing adventure! And I am more than just a teensy bit jealous...

Molly said...

That's one of Charles' favorite books, too. I'm glad you're enjoying city life! I love not driving here. Russians have amazing subways.

The Kelseys said...

I really need to come and visit you but I don't know if that is going to happen this time around (sad). Cooking class? So does that mean you decided to take the job?

Amy said...

we're glad you guys are enjoying the city! we miss you!

Jake and Em said...

Hi Shannah! Jake and I are actually moving to New Jersey and will be living 20 min from the city so it was really fun to read your post about NYC! I'm so excited about being so close! What a fun experience!! What does Skyler do? Jake accepted a job with the NY Giants so that's what moves us! :)