This week I have been thinking a great deal about how to raise Savannah and thought I would throw this out there and see what everyone had to say. It all started Sunday when Skyler came back into the chapel after a crazy time of trying to get Savannah to sleep. This particular time was a bit frustrating because church is three hours long, at 9 am, right during her first nap, which sets the tone for the entire day, and she just wanted to look at all of the exciting things around her. As soon as Skyler took her outside to the fresh, cool, quiet air, she went to sleep. When Sky came back in he said something to me that struck me because I have considered it many times before. He said something to the effect of "I worry about getting frustrated with her (Savannah) and making her do things she doesn't want to do. She is such a happy person and I don't want to ruin that."
Have we all had this moment? I think of this over and over some days when it is all I can do to sing to Savannah instead of scream at her for not sleeping when she needs to or not eating when she is clearly starving. This little girl doesn't want to miss a beat. I love this about her. I want to see the world like she sees it. I also had this moment as a teacher with students that just did things a little differently than I asked.
Now that you know the feeling...how do you do it? How do you train a child to be everything that they can be and to do everything that they "should" do and not ruin who they are?
Having only had Savannah for 7 months I already know that she has a joy to her that can change things. Her smile makes my everyday the best day ever. I am so sad when I think of the things in the world that are going to hurt her and the terrible things she has to learn. How can I help her to always be who she naturally is and never lose her positive outlook on life? I want to always see her beautiful smile, the smile that brightens the day of the random people we meet and that has definitely changed our lives forever.
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You guys are wonderful parents. :) Really. I understand what you're asking, though. My answer is I have no idea. Clearly. Have you seen my blog lately?? You can bet I've done my fair share of screaming and getting SO frustrated that I can't even see straight . . . and although it's not the best way to approach these situations, I don't think I've ruined my kids. I think as long as you keep trying to do your best, improving and learning as you go, you're doing it the "right" way. You're not going to be able to be perfect, and you're not going to be able to protect her from everything (even from your own imperfections in parenting) but she's going to turn out great. And as long as she knows you love her and will always love her, she'll be a happy little girl her whole life! Dave and I are going to a Love and Logic seminar on Saturday to help us with our parenting (partiularly with our wild oldest child)--we'll let you know if we learn anything good. I've read the books, and they're great, but really hard to follow through with!
I wish I knew! I have a hard enough time remaining true to myself and still doing all the things that need to be done. I think that's part of our purpose on earth. I think the main thing is to show your love for her, and be happy with and for her. Teach her that her Heavenly Father loves her, and she'll be happy following Jesus Christ, and she'll stay true to herself. She chose to be here with you, and that's important to remember!
I liked what Molly had to say. I can't even imagine what things are going to be like when Luke is older. He is such a sweet and happy boy, but does things that make me mad. At those moments I just have to take a second to think about if what I'm trying to get him to do is really necessary at that moment in time. I think practical and necessary things like eating and sleeping may have to be somewhat forced since they are necessary for a happy and healthy baby, but most other things you can just go with the flow and enjoy all of the crazy cute things they do. It's pretty mind-boggling all of this parenting stuff!Thank goodness we have the gospel.
At first I looked at parenthood as something that required perfection on my part to produce good results. Then my son turned two and started doing things just to push my buttons and I reached a level of frustration I hadn't before. I came to realize that parenthood is something I am to learn and grow from and I can't expect myself to be perfect at it. I think the important things are to show love to your children and really try to let them be themselves within a framework of realistic expectations.
The thing I lean on most is my trust that God sent this soul to us rather than someone else for some reason fathomable only to Him. Out of all the parents in the world, and out of all the parents who have strength where I am weak, God still sent Hyrum to us. He must think it's enough. On whatever scale He uses. And really, with the Atonement to wipe away every tear, it is.
4 have sent me crazy, cranky, and crabby... but when Im not that Im happy, laughing and having fun with them, helping them to learn and turn into beautiful girls. You can see that its there anyway. Trust in them and who they are. It happens so fast. Darby is already rolling her eyes and growing boobies!!! Love my girls... although I could do without the poo all in the bed the other day!!! he he!
Post a Comment