Friday, February 1, 2008

Life as a teacher...

So for those of you who don't know I have started my student teaching, which means I am in the same classroom all day everyday for 8 weeks at a time. The actual teacher of the classroom is always there, but if she were to leave I am expected to run the show...which means I do a lot of the teaching. So in some ways I am job shadowing and in training. Also for my degree I am observed by a supervisor once a week or so and she determines how well I teach. This can be stressful.

Well, so far I have survived the first 2 weeks. I have really enjoyed it and I think I am starting to fall into place. My students are responding well to me and my host teacher and supervisor are both very complementary. This does not mean that I am perfect, by any means. For example, I still struggle with management. It is hard to keep 27 students quiet when you are walking in the halls to lunch! I am working on having a "stronger voice"--being stern without being emotional, evidently I have a nice voice (something good to know--I think it is a nice way to say that I have a soft, passive tone).
I am really growing to love each of my 27 students, even those who ALWAYS disrupt the class. Each of my students definitely have something special to offer.

My lessons seem to go well. My students are responsive to my questions and seem to enjoy learning the things I teach them. It is hard to come up with "the perfect lesson." I am teaching the American Revolution unit, which is a blast. I especially love that I get to do this in New York. I don't remember having an entire unit on the American Revolution when I was in school in Washington state.

So, if I am so busy, how do I have time to do this blog update? Well, in the life of a teacher you never know what is going to happen. I woke up this morning at 5am, got completely ready, then at 6:55 Skyler went to start the car and realized that the car was covered in ice. So he checked the district website and sure enough school was canceled. Oddly enough school cancellations are just as exciting to me as a teacher as they were when I was in elementary school!


5 comments:

Molly said...

How old are your students? School cancellations are still exciting to me, even though they never happen for me. My family always calls to let me know when school is cancelled so I can do a little dance! Enjoy your day off!

SMT Family said...

The majority of my students are 9 or 10 years old.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear things are going so well with this. I'm very proud of you. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, Sky, I'm totally surprised that you noticed that I spelled your name wrong. :) I did change it for you though. And let me know how that book is. I've been wanting to read it.

Mollie said...

This is my official request for an update! (when you have time of course... some teacher empathy)