Monday, January 25, 2010

the piano...

the project
I purchased a piano for Skyler for Christmas for a whopping $50! The trick was that it was BLUE. It sounds great, plays smoothly, but it needed a makeover. With my dad's supervision--he knows how to fix everything and makes it all look easy--I got to work!
The project was researched, cleaned, & assessed.

The paint was stripped.


The wood was sanded.


The keys were replaced.


The commercial lacquer was applied.



The hardware was polished & the pedal re-adjusted.



Now it is BEAUTIFUL.


This has been a great project. This piano was my focus when Savannah was down for naps or in bed for the night. It took a lot of time, about 4 weeks of focused efforts, but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I am glad to say that Skyler has now been able to practice each day after work and I am working my way through the "level A" books that I borrowed from Sky's little siblings. We are so happy to have a piano in our home. It has been far too long.

history
The piano is a "Wegman"--yes as in the same name as the store in Ithaca that I still miss. The piano was made by the Wegman Piano Company in 1924 in Auburn, NY. I was quite thrilled to learn this and was even more devoted to making it look like it did originally. I love having a piece of Upstate New York in our home again.



Not only was the piano baby blue, but under the blue it was avocado green. And under the green it was hooker red. And under the red was the original deep chocolate brown/black lacquer.



We have all sorts of ideas on the history of this piece of furniture. We like to joke that it was in a saloon as we found a jack of hearts player card inside and a gambling ticket (1966). We also found a Mercury dime from 1944. We like to think it was red while it was in an early 1930's saloon.

12 comments:

Broadhead said...

Hey man hooker red is a great color. lol And may I say you look very sexy in the overalls that are 10 sizes to big for you! ;)
I am so proud of you for starting this adventure. Siriously you're my hero.
The piano is gorgeous! You did an amazing job! I love that it's from NY.
Keep updating your progress.

Suzanna said...

That is amazing! Wow! Well if I find a cheap piano that needs some work you better be prepared to head on out here and fix it up. Hehe. You really made it look beautiful! I wish I had a piano :(

Hillary and Jonathan said...

That looks amazing! Sounds like a fun project :)

Lindsey Hicks said...

That is impressive. I really do wonder if it was in a saloon now!

Lindsey said...

Wow, what a great accomplishment! It looks great.

Natalie said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work but fun! So did you find it & refinish it in Washington and then ship it to NY?

Derrill Watson said...

I said I would be deeply impressed, and I am! I spent a full summer and a couple weeks in winter working on my baby grand trying to get the 60s yellow off of it. It sounds like yours had received the same kind of harsh treatment mine had. All while caring for an infant! I bow before superior talent.

Eevi said...

beautiful!

CT Pilcrow said...

Wow Shannah! What an awesome thing to have done for Sky. That's one of those things that will be a favorite family story.

Andy and Melissa said...

You guys did an amazing job. I'm glad you have a piano, I'm sure Savannah will love all the music that comes out of it.

Ben said...

That's amazing. Shannah, I've got $50 for you to go find me a Harley and restore it. My birthday is in August, so you have 6 months. Thanks.

Chelsea Parsons said...

wow wow wow, this is fantastic Shannah! well done!