Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fall Break...

We took a wonderful road trip for our fall break. It was nice to go away with just the two of us. It reinforced how true it is that Skyler really is my best friend. We especially enjoyed being with family, visiting close friends, and seeing the church sites. I must say that this trip was a much needed getaway; we were able to make the most of each day and love every minute of it together. We did a ton, so I can't get it all in a blog post, but here are some highlights. (Don't worry, I won't make you look at all the spreadsheets we made to plan for the trip.)

Day one:
Travel to Cleveland and stay with Bridi and Jason Waite (Bridi is Skyler's sweet cousin).

Day two:
Continue with Waite's to Kirtland to see church sites.
See Carissa Clive (my friend from home) who is serving a mission in Kirtland.


This is David, Bridi & Jason's son. He took quite a liking to Skyler. Sky was quite pleased that David stopped and waited for Skyler to hold his hand.

Me and the lovely Carissa.
Day three:
Visit more with the Waite's.
Travel to Carmel, IN to visit my grandparents who are serving a mission in Indianapolis.


On the way out of Cleveland we stopped at the John Johnson farm in Hiram, OH. This is a desk in the office where Joseph Smith studied.

Days four & five:
Visit with Grandma & Grandpa Larsen.

The city of Carmel was very nice. Too bad we won't always have family there.

We actually don't have any pictures of my grandparents, I am the one in charge of the camera and I was too busy chatting away--Skyler got video though.

Day six:
Travel to Nauvoo, IL.
Stop at the Carthage Jail in Carthage, IL.
Visit the temple in Nauvoo.
Camp in the car.


Carthage Jail in Carthage, IL where the Prophet Joseph and his brother Hyrum were martyred.

Us outside the Navuoo temple. We are the tiny specs at the bottom center-right.
Forgive the stranger that took it for us.

Day seven:
See the sites in Nauvoo.
Travel to Chicago to see Ben & Lexi.


This is the making of a wheel for a wagon like the pioneers used to carry their things to SLC from Nauvoo.

The stories of the strength of the pioneers were very touching. They were so strong in their faith and their families.

Day eight:
Tour Chicago with the "All-Knowing Chicagoans," a.k.a. Ben & Lexi.


Us at the big bean in Chicago. Pretty stinkin' cool!

Day nine:
Go to Navy Pier in Chicago.
Walk Michigan Avenue
Visit with Ben & Lexi.

Beautiful Chicago reflecting off of the big bean.

Day ten:
Visit with Ben & Lexi.
Invite ourselves to stay for one more night with Ben & Lexi; we couldn't get enough of them. :) We miss you guys already!


Us on the observation deck in the Sears Tower, which we did on day eight.

I had too much fun to keep up with the pictures, so again, Skyler was the video man on days nine and ten and we have no photos.

Day eleven:
Leave our roommates in Chicago and travel to Ithaca.

I am glad to say that after traveling for 11 days with Skyler I would happily drive across the country with him again. Maybe next time it will be all the way to Utah or Washington!

5 comments:

The Kelseys said...

Sounds like you were extremely busy but had tons of fun! I miss you. Come visit me : )

Mollie said...

You are looking fab as usual! Sounds like you had a great time. Yay that I know Carissa.

Molly said...

You sure know how to action-pack an eleven days off of school! I'm glad you two still love each other. Come hang out in UT next time!

Jake and Em said...

That sounds like such a fun trip! You were in my old stomping grounds in Indiana! :) Welcome back to NY!

Chelsea Parsons said...

cool cool cool. Loved seeing these pics. Wish we went to Nauvoo. Oh well, save it for another day hey!